Sunday, September 9, 2012

Combining iPhoneography with Photoshop for Digital Scrapbooking

Skyline Magic


I find myself relying more and more on taking and processing photos with my iphone and/or ipad.  I’ve also been experimenting with a more abstract look achieved with the apps SlowShutter Cam and Decim8 (thanks to the help of friends on Instagram). I can post my photos to Instagram and then use them on my scrapbook pages adding further elements with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Here’s a quick tutorial on a page I recently completed with a photo I took while driving across the San Francisco Bay Bridge. I was wishing the bridge cables weren’t obstructing my view, but it turns out they added a nice graphic element to the photo’s composition.  

These are the apps I used:
Slow Shutter CamGyro CropperSquareadyDecim8. Always remember to save your photo to your camera roll after you complete each step.

iPhoneography App steps for creating photo:
1. I took this photo through the car window in Slow Shutter Cam (for blurred effect). I also like the added effect of the bridge cabes. I just started using this app and, with practice, found the instructions and options fairly easy to understand. Save to camera roll.
























2. Crop the photo into a horizontal shape in Gyro Cropper. I wanted a horizontal design of the city's skyline. Save to camera roll.












3. Square up in Squaready and save to camera roll.
























4. Abstract the image in Decim8 (I used the effect: Doctor Ocular) and save to your camera roll.

























PS/PSE steps for creating digital scrapbook page with abstract photo (all elements from Anna Aspnes Designs):
1. add background paper (I used a textured paper from ArtPlay Palette Authentic)
2. place 12x12 photo over background paper in Multiply blend for increased dimension and color. I duplicated the photo at 50% opacity for further depth.
























3. To keep the focus on the horizon I added the following elements from ArtPlay Palette Socialize to the skyline: artstroke, tag, stars, word label, word transfer, button, painted edge overlay.
























4. To complete the page I added a dotted brush from Anna’s Different Strokes No. 7, light glows from Warm Glows No. 3 and an overlay from ArtPlay Palette Viaggio.
5. Title font, tag font: Arsenale White.





14 comments:

  1. I love this, I'm a huge fan of phone editing & I love that you also showed what you did afterward in photoshop. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leah. I'm glad you liked the tutorial. I'm discovering so many exciting possibilities in combining iPhoneography with Photoshop!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous layout! Love the color-effect.
    ViVre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love editing on my iPhone and iPad. Thanks for reminding me about Decim8. I have so many editing apps, some of them end up on the back burner.

    Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful Chris...I love your work. I found you through the recent edition of Somerset Digital Studio. Although I haven't done much with iphonography, I'm inspired to explore it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kate! iPhoneography is a fun and exciting way to create art. I think you'll enjoy it. I checked out your beautiful blog. Lots of inspiration! Thanks again for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. Wow you do such a great and awesome things with IPhonegraphy. I think I'm going to buy one from the money I get from my parents with my B-day and Sinterklaas (you get presents with X-mass and in Holland we do this with 'Sinterklaas'). But I have to choose between IPhone and IPad. Which one would you commend?
    Thanks for your tutorials about IPhonegraphy. Some day in 2013 I'm going to try them.....
    Mariëlle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marielle! I really appreciate your kind comments. About choosing an iPhone or the iPad...The iPhone has a much better camera (8 mp), while the iPad's camera is better suited for facetime and not good photo quality. But...the iPad has the bigger screen which, I think, makes it better for photo editing. Two options would be: 1. get the iPhone and edit on the phone, which many people do; or 2. get the iPad. Take your photos with regular camera and load them onto your iPad for editing. It's probably more of a preference for how you want to take your pictures. Let me know if that helps. Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind answer. I do have a IMac but those Apps aren't for the Mac are they? Well I think about. Still have some time left. Difficult choices in life.. we have too much and still think we need more.... but the only thing that matters is our health!

      Delete
    3. Yes, Marielle, that is true. Those are good thoughts!

      Delete
  7. This is gorgeous, Chris. I just got an iphone and can't wait to explore some apps.

    ReplyDelete